Name:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

I am here to tempt you into scrapping rectangles! Look at all the beautiful LOs that I will tempt you with, not to mention great sketches Need to email me? Do it at gincarson@yahoo.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Totally not related to scrapping

OK, this is so not related to scrapping, but I thought I would get it out there. Is there anyone reading who is a co-sleeper with their child? I am still co-sleeping with Cassidy -- she just turned two. We have her crib butted up against out bed and open so she sleeps right beside me (usually on me). This was a step since she was totally in our bed until probably 6 months ago. Anyways, hubby loves co-sleeping, but we started talking -- I am gonna have to take the leap sometime and get her in her own bed. I think it will be more trauma to me then her -- but there are other things I need to kick the habbit of for her first i think (she still takes a bottle! and pacifier). So, I think my order of priority will be 1) Bottle has to go 2) She need to be in her own bed/room 3) Pacifier . I am thinking, maybe I should scrap this so I have the conviction to follow through -- or maybe I need to create a I love co-sleeping kit lol

Comments on "Totally not related to scrapping"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

A friend of mine follows the princliples of Dr. Sears (I believe that's who she said) and they are avid co-sleepers. She had a toddler bed in her room for the kids when she was transitioning them. When they were comfortable with that, then they were moved into their own rooms. Perhaps this would work for you, since your daughter is of the age that making a big fuss over a "big girl bed" (maybe with some fun sheets/bedding and pillows that she picks out, or something that she can feel "pride" in)might do the trick. Good luck with whatever you decide!! And definitely scrap about it! :o)

 

Blogger Deanna said ... (12:35 PM) : 

co slept with my first tile she was one, then we needed to get her moved, b/c #2 was coming..we just did it slowly, we played in her room, then we napped together in her room, just made the progression slowly! goodluck!

 

Blogger Josh Virkler said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Another co-sleeper here (she's 11 months now) I plan to do something like what jennstar mentioned, though for now I'm fine with her being with me, so it's all hypothetical right now. Good luck with all the upcoming transitions!
Definitely scrap about it :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I just want to say GL with that, any change is not easy either on them or us. For us, the paci went after her 1st birthday, I think after a week she forgot it even existed, of course after that, her dog became like another appendage to herself ;) She's been in her own bed, own room since 2 weeks old, she's one NOISY sleeper! I slept in the same room (she was in her PnP) at my moms the other weekend and I almost slept on the couch she was moving around so much!! lol hope it goes well for you! I think everyone had GREAT advice :)

 

Blogger Tink said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Ginger, I had my son in with me until he was 4. His father left us when he was 18 months old and I guess the habit of him sleeping in with me was more for my own comfort knowing that he was safe. I finally gave in when he started sleeping diagonally across the bed and kicking me in his sleep lol. You are right, it will be harder for you than for your girlie :o)

 

Blogger Just Nancy said ... (1:53 PM) : 

We co-slept with both of our children (one is now 16 and one is 3). We're just getting the three year old into his own bed. It has been a long, patient process. It was easier with the girl, but everything, pretty much as been easier with her. However, she came into our bed once in a while for a much longer time and still sleeps with me (DH and the boy sleep in the "clean" air-purified room because of their allerigies) if she hears noises in her room and is worried aobut mice, roaches, heaven knows what else.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

We co-sleep with K (5yrs) and E (2yrs). We have found it to be a wonderful experience. I do think it is getting ready to have to end tho because the kids kicking is getting out of hand. Good luck with transitioning Cass out of your bed and the other things too. E still takes a bottle too but that is a whole big issue since he is oral defensive and doesn't eat. My advice would be to take it slow and easy. Good Luck again!!!

 

Blogger Lauren Grier said ... (1:16 AM) : 

We co-sleep, my son is 2.5. He's not ready to sleep by himself.. child still doesn't even sleep through the night haha. But just wanted to wish you luck :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 AM) : 

I did the co sleeping thing with both of my kiddos, Gracie was 4 when she started sleeping in her own room and Nik is 3 and still spends most nights in bed with me, b/c he gets up and comes in in the middle of the night. In time it happens, put her to sleep in her bed, and she'll continue to crawl into bed with you for awhile, but the transition will happen. As far as the bottle and pacie.. I got these need non spill cups at WalMart, let them take water to bed with them... they willingly gave up the bottle but still had the "comfort" of having something with them. Gracie took a pacie to bed with her until almost 5 years old... EEK recently Nik gave his up (he's a Huge Huge boy as he says) Nik did the sippy cup thing up to about a year ago.. then it went by the wayside. Good Luck Ginger it IS going to be harder on you... but in time it all works out :)

 

Blogger Debra said ... (8:55 AM) : 

Well, i'm a single mom and my seven year old girl still gets up in the middle of the night and comes and gets in the bed with me. My 9 year old boy does on a very rare ocassion if he's had a bad dream and my 3 month old baby girl's crib is right next to my bed, so I guess I'm still co-sleeping with all my kids, lol. My mom said that me and my brothers used to do the same thing even as teenagers, just in the morning jump in bed with them, all five of us and just lay there and talk!

 

Blogger Meesh said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Owen & Evan each co slept with us until around the are of two. Olivia is still in our bed. With the boys I put a futon matress on the floor (or a new dog bed works great too!) next to our bed. I would lay don with them on the floor to but them to sleep and if they wok during the night I would join them instead of them coming to me. (That only worked when I woke up first). I found it to be a gentle way to get them used to sleeping on thier own, and it was easier for me since I could lay down with them (vs the toddler bed that is too small) With Evan we ended up putting him in a pack n play because he was such a busy body and I worried about hime exploring while I slept! Owen took a paci- I just sort of wean it from him during the day over time (very slowly). It disappeared by the age of two. I had planned that with Evan, but with all the dietary changes and taking away of sooooo many foods, and with our upcoming move,I just don't have the heart to take it away right now (he'll be 2 this month) butI plan to start the weaning process once we move.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I'd definitely do the paci last...we ditched ours at Christmas before she turned 3. Santa took it, lol. It was tough, but it was a deadline that worked and we never went back (although I think that today at 4, she'd run off with any stranger who offered her one!). But the paci will make the other transitions much easier for her I bet. Either way, good luck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

My daughters are a little older (24, 20 & 18) but I do have a cautionary tale to tell about taking the paci away before "they" are ready. My youngest didn't even take a paci until she was 6 months old. Then she got the chicken pox and out of desperation we tried it and she took to it. Then I tried to get her off of it from 2-2 1/2 and then I made her go cold turkey. At that point she felt she still needed the security of sucking on something and popped her thumb in her mouth at bedtime which she had never done before. When she was old enough to want to give it up herself she had a hard time because she would do it in her sleep and not even realize. She wouldn't have sleepovers in case someone saw and then when her Dad died the day after her 9th birthday, well we still struggle with this one. So just be sure it's the right time for both of you and not just because you should.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

My son is 19 now but I remember these issues well. We never started co-sleeping as soon as he was old enough not to need night time feedings (about 2-3 months) he was in a crib with the monitor on next to us. If he had a bad dream one of us got up and went back to his room with him until he fell back to sleep. As far as the pacifier, have you tried snipping it? By this I mean cut off a piece of the side so that it doesn't "fit" the mouth the same. Just slowly start snipping it, trust me they end up throwing it out themselves. I have to agree that it's time to give up the bottle. Just go slowly, maybe a water bottle at night? Good luck though. My son says that what ever we did it worked, he thinks he's well adjusted...I have different opnion sometimes LOL...

 

Blogger Rachael said ... (8:50 AM) : 

I never thouight of it as co-sleeping, but more just a matter of convenience, LOL :) The only way we ever kicked a kid out of our bed was to have another baby. Dylan is 7 and still comes into our room to sleep about 1/2 the time. I don't care, I know it won't last forever. As for the bottle and pacifier, don't sweat it. Some people will give you a pile of crap about it, but honestly, have you ever seen an adult with a bottle??? We all gave it up at some point. Just my nickel worth for ya! :)

 

Blogger pattyanne said ... (3:12 PM) : 

I feel for you… actually I was a single mom from the time my dd was 2 til she was 12 - during this time, when we had our own place, most of the time, it was one bedroom hence one bed… but when we had a chance for 2 beds - it was never a problem… so I'm no help there - HOWEVER - the pacifier - do NOT give it up too early - because she will switch to her thumb - I did this with my dd - and to this day, if she is tired - she sucks her thumb - must I say she just turned 18!!! She's had lots of trauma trying to break her of this - an jerk of a boyfriend of mine was on her case terribly - to the point of I gave it up thinking she would break herself of it - and like I say - she still has this issue when she is tired…

 

post a comment